Personalised Body Goal Getting with Matt
Are you tired of the body you have right now? Do you want to be leaner, healthier & fitter? I can help you get the body you have always wanted methodically & in an ultra-supportive environment.
Obesity if the UK’s Biggest Public Health Crisis
64.2% of the English adult population are either obese or overweight. That’s a staggering 28.5 million people. Obesity has been shown to reduce a person’s lifespan by as much as 20 years in severe cases but the bigger issue is the negative impact it has on quality of life. Being extremely overweight or even just overweight has negative effects on self-esteem, mental health, joint health & chronic disease.
2.8 million people globally die each year as a result of being overweight or obese. That’s 5% of all deaths which equates to over 30,400 per year in the UK. That’s 83 people per day. 3.5 people per hour. Sadly, this number is showly signs of increasingly for the foreseeable future. Furthermore the diseases which are directly & commonly associated with obesity are some of the biggest killers in society; including heart disease (kills 8.9 million people worldwide per year).
Obesity & Quality of Life
- Obese people have a 9 times higher chance of developing diabetes in the UK.
- A BMI > 27 kg/m2 is associated with a 3.3 times greater chance of Osteoarthritis.
- Men with BMI ≥ 28.5 kg/m2 have a 2.49-fold greater risk of gallstones compared with men with a normal BMI.
- Acute pancreatitis is closely associated with obesity, and a number of studies have shown that obesity increases the severity of and mortality from acute pancreatitis.
- Studies have indentified obesity as a predictor of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- The prevalence of Obstructive sleep apnea is 2% to 3% among middle-aged women and 4% to 5% among middle-aged men, but the prevalence among obese patients is >30% and among the morbidly obese ranges from 50% to 98%! Obesity is the most important risk factor for the development of Obstructive sleep apnea.
- The lifetime prevalence of major depressive disorder is 1.53 and 2.02 among obese and extremely obese compared with normal weight subjects. Using standard criteria for major depressive disorder, the odds ratios were 1.92 for a BMI of 25 to 30 kg/m2, 2.92 for 20–35 kg/m2, and 5.72 for a BMI of ≥ 35 kg/m2. The more overweight a person becomes the more likely they are to suffer from clinical grade depression.
- Having a higher BMI increases your risk of stroke at any age.
Obesity & Covid-19
The urgency in the fight against obesity has never been more acute than during the coronavirus pandemic. Despite possessing the world’s best healthcare systems Western countries (the United States, the United Kingdom, Belgium & Italy) have endured some of the highest Covid-19 fatality numbers per capita in the world. Obesity is a major reason why. A study in the Lancet showed that those with a BMI of over 35 were 2.6 times more likely to land up in hospital for covid-19 than those with a normal BMI. They were also 2.6 times more likely to end up in intensive care.
The benefits of training
- Change Your Body Shape
- Get Stronger and More Confident
- Improve Mood
- Get Healthier
- Sleep Better
How does my weight affect my health?
If you’re overweight or obese, it can increase your risk of developing a whole range of health problems. These include conditions such as:
- coronary heart disease; high blood pressure; type 2 diabetes & stroke
- some types of cancer & liver disease
- asthma & sleep apnoea
- fertility problems
What I don’t do
I don’t put any goal ahead of your health. A lean, attractive physique is a nice to have. Your health is a must have. And by health I’m including both your physical and mental wellbeing. There is no point in achieving anything with your body if you don’t have the mental capacity to fully enjoy it.
What I care about
- Helping you create the body you’ve always wanted in a sustainable, realistic but at all times constructive manner
Science based methods
All of my interventions are based on the latest science in the fields of weight loss, resistance training & nutritional science.
Contact me to get started.